Monday, January 18, 2010

Fin

The ride was finished in Cape Spear the most Easterly point in North America. I was unable to update the blog while riding in Newfoundland due to poor Internet access. I rode 10,421 Kms in a few months.

From my last post in Halifax I rode up to Iles De La Madeleine and Island North of Prince Edward Island. I rode the length of the island and returned to the ferry back to PEI. I rode down to Charlottetown and continued to ride East. I then hammered the Cabot trail around Cape Breton Island. I continued East to North Sydney and took a ferry to the West Coast of Newfoundland. I then road up to Gros Morne National Park and then continued East to Twillinggate where I saw an ice berg. I road down to St. Pierre an Island south of Newfoundland. It is actually a Republic of France. I then continued to St. John's and planned to ride to Cape Spear. I arrived in St. Johns and asked for directions to Cape Spear. I was pointed to the highest point in St. Johns (signal hill) which actually was not Cape Spear but it really had a great View of the city. I then rode the last 21 kms to Cape Spear. The last few kilometers were down a windy turny European style country road. I reached Cape Spear and road the last little bit down a wooden trail. I sat down took a few pictures and realized finishing things is the hardest part. It seemed almost anti-climatic realizing I was finished and that I had to return to everyday type life. I had my moment in Cape Spear, I finished my last cliff bar.

After Cape Spear I continued to Bay Bulls and I stayed with friends which I met on the journey. I really lucked out when I finished the ride having such great place to stay. I am so fortunate to have found such great people to stay with. When I was outside of Fortune, Newfoundland I stopped to get water at a gas station at three pm and I was planning on catching the ferry at six am the next morning. I battled a nasty head wind all day and still had another hundred kilometers to put in. I decided to grab a caffeinated beverage while at the gas station. something I learned to go with out for a few months of riding. While I was at the gas station there was someone who came up to me to chat. I thought it was totally bizarre seeing someone with a snowmobile in their truck in August. We chatted for a few minutes and he invited me to stay in his house in Bay Bulls. He told me he used to bike race a little bit. He did not mention he was a world champion mountain biker. After we chatted my heart was pounding from the caffeine and I hammered on the pedals in the evening and set up my bivy sack outside of the town hall at eleven pm.

Thank you everyone who helped me on my journey. We raised 16,000 dollars for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society of Canada. We finished our trip in Halifax without a hitch and I saw the East Coast up close and personal afterwards.

Life is pretty amazing, keep riding
Dean the machine

No comments: