Sunday, May 27, 2007

First Section Completed of Le Tour

It was day two of my Cross Canada journey as I slowely woke up and procceded to have a homemade energy bar for breakfast. I was setup for the day, my hard work the night before paid off, doing things the night ahead makes you strong and confident in yourself. Now it was time get pedaling up the Crowsnest pass from Hope to Princeton B.C.

I started out fairly early and attacked the mountain before the mountain could attack me. My tactics paid off and I had quickly reached the summit of the Crowsnest pass, at 1342 meters. I felt solid to climb up there with all that weight on my trusty steed. I was set to start this trip off with some climbing and that is what I did, the pass was relentless, lots of steep climbs that carried on for many kilometers at a very steep grade. The climbing would end and then a small descent followed by more and more climbing that was really entertaining with my overweight steed bicycle it really pushed my froglegs to hop. I had one technical issue that could have put me up a river without a paddle, that was chain suck. Yes Chain suck 75kms from the nearest town my chain had gotten so stuck between my middle gear that the cranks should have been removed and the chain replaced. That is a little difficult when all you have is a multi tool. So being the technical wizard I am I wailled on the crank and freed my companion as if it was a poor grizzly stuck in a leg hold trap.

I then arrived just after five in Princeton after riding for 8 hours and ten minutes, I rode 128.21 kms which isn't alot but considering the amount of climbing it was succesful. I reached a new top speed of 66.94 Km/hour which is starting to sound alright considering it is a touring bike with a ton of gear on it. I proceeded to convice myself that I deserved a hotel room for the night, I spoke with a really nice guy that managed the Econolodge in Princeton and told him what I was doing, he offered me a great room rate and a spotless room that felt sooooo good to have a shower and enjoy little soaps. Elisa my girlfriend met up with me that night after battling fellow drivers on the rode outside of Vancouver. It was great to see her and we had a final goodbye.

No comments: