Monday, May 28, 2007

First Section Completed of Le Tour

After leaving Midway, I proceeded to Greenwood were I found a hotel owner nice enough to let me shower there for 5 dollars. Best money I have ever spent, I then proceeded to Grandforks and had a quick lunch at The Grandforks Hotel. It is possibly the best Russian food I have had in B.C, I must say I did get some strange looks going through the hotel in my Spandi's. I then hoped back on the bike and proceeded to Christina Lake and continued up the Paulson. The Paulson is a tough ride, there is no way around it, it is 75 kms and 30 of those you are climbing. The total elevation is 1534 meters. The climb itself is not the hard part, it is climbing at a slow increase of grade for 30 kilometers with touring gear. I reached the plateau and felt relief for having completed that section of the ride. I must say drivers can make a difference on a long day of riding like this one, things like positive honks, double thumbs up and a symbolic one arm up up showing strength can help one elevate. With the hard part of the trip over I proceeded through the long descent into Castlegar that was roughly 45 kilometers and then proceeded into Nelson where I stayed at my parents home for the night which felt so good to sleep in a real bed.

The day was spectalur, 190.38kms over a km of climbing and 11:20 minutes of cycling. Now for a few recovery days so I can benefit from this work.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Way to go Dean! I didn't know you were such a prolific writer - Good Job! See you at the other end...

Michael and S

Brigitte said...

Hello Dean, where can we give money?
God bless you on your journey.