Monday, May 28, 2007

First Section Completed of Le Tour

I was now ready to start hammering away on the pedals, well rested I proceeded to jump on my bike and spin out of town. I rode at a higher cadence in the morning to recover from the previous day of climbing. Riding through the Okangan felt as if I was in the south of France, hot dry and extreemly sunny I slowly baked away in the sun. I quickly reached Osoyoos and had a quick lunch break. I was ready to hammer up Osoyoos hill, the climb wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. About two thirds the way up the hill my mindset changed and I just started having a blast I was truly loving climbing and the freedom to just ride. I hammered away over the peak of the summit and continued down the hill riding into the night turning on my headlight proceeding to Midway B.C.

The days ride was awesome, 189.92km's Eleven hours and 42 minutes of lugging that heavy touing bike around. When I arrived in Midway I was a little hungry so I proceeded to find the only place open in town. I decided to throw on some more normal looking clothes not knowing what could happen to a distressed cyclist wearing spandis in a small town bar. I decided to grab a chair near the locals and easedrop a little to get a real impression what the town was about. The bartender was a pretty awesome dude who when I tried to ask for the simplest thing on the menu being a burger he told me the grill was closed but he could help me with anything fried, Guess it had to come down to Chicken wings and French fries? Oh well I think the eleven hours of cycling probably burned off a few chicken wings.

Full from high carb, high fat french fries I proceeded to the local park. I rode past some local teenybops who were extremely confused when they saw me on my bicycle. A strange silence fell over them as they watched this weirdo cruise by late at night with enough gear and lights on to be the leader of Midways anarchist militia. I then proceeded in a stealth way to the local park and threw my bivy sack and camping gear out and proceeding to go to sleep. Then at 4:30 someone in the town rebelled against the leader of the militia, they had a defence mechanism called " Automatic sprinklers!" So high tech they were trying to scare me out of town with soaking me with water in the wee hours of the night. Luckily I had a defence mechanism Goretex! Thats right I had a Goretex bivy sack for advanced protection. I escaped unscathed and proceeded out of town on my way to Nelson B.C

No comments: