Sunday, May 27, 2007

First Section of Le Tour

On May 23, I left Vancouver B.C and headed for my first destination spot on Le Tour, Hope B.C. I left West 16th Ave after finishing a few life errands and getting to pedal out some of my stress. I started to hammer on the pedals around 8:30am Wednesday morning as rush hour traffic picked up. I asked myself probably a dozen times, " Who is crazier myself, or these lemmings waiting in traffic to go to work? Maybe on a Wednesday morning I should be in traffic staring at the car in front of me wondering why they don't know how to turn left? Instead I ask myself who will have a longer work day? Myself or Larry? The guy across from myself in the right hand lane driving a white Ford pickup with a sticker on the back that says " Touch my truck I break your face!" So I proceed to be on my very way and eat Larry's exhaust.

I ventured out of the city to say quick goodbyes to my younger brothers Ross and David and head out on the open road. I was then bombing down Barnet Highway and reality started to click in! No more girlfriend, no more family, no more friends and no more cheap sushi in Vancouver.

I stopped in quickly to Experience cycle in Maple ridge and said my final goodbye to my friend Chris and hopped back on my battle ship ready to hop into warp speed! Oh, I seem to have remembered attaching about 5 panniers full of gear to this bicycle making it almost as effective as an anchor to a boat more than a mode of transportation.

Full of hyperactivity, I cruised out of the Lower mainland on are rare sunny day. I was pleasantly welcomed to the city of Mission by one of my favorite farm animals the dairy cow. As I proceeded through the Fraser Valley I felt a great deal of excitement coming over me as if I only had one thing to do and that was cycle. The bike was purring as if it was a new Ducati motorcycle and I was nice and fresh like warm laundry.

Time seemed to fly by the first day of my journey after seeing gorgeous lakes, wonderful farms and pleasant mountainsides I was already in Hope. I cruised through town and decided against the Truck stop hotels that I was sure quickly down my path they would seem as if they were the Ritz. I proceeded to climb out of town and start looking for a place to call my own. I came up to a great Provincial park just about ten Kilometers East of Hope. I proceeded to set up Fort Deanocamporino. I attacked my camping spot as if I was a Navy seal, I through out my bivy sack, sleeping bag, foamy, tarp and even threw in a pyrotechnics display for the neighbours across the trenches from myself. I proceeded the start of many camp chores, washing my cycling clothes, dinner, boiling water and using the modern day outhouse curtousy of B.C parks.

The day was a complete success, a 168.47 kilometers ridden, 1000 feet climbed, and a low maximum speed of 55 kilometers an hour on the touring bike.

No comments: