Saturday, June 2, 2007

Le Tour Part 2 Tuesday May 29th 2007

Its Tuesday May 27th 2007, I have completed the first section of my cross Canada tour and I have just had two days off to let my body recover from the first four days of cycling. I am now ready to have a long day of Dean time.

I am leaving my family home in Nelson and heading towards the Crawford Bay ferry which is North America's longest free ferry. Seeing that the price is right and it avoids going over the long, boring Salmo Creston pass I see it as perfect. I sluggishly leave my family home after being force fed a healthy breakfast. I continue to ride towards Balfour and kiss the sweet smell of Patchouli and Lavender goodbye from the town which I grew in goodbye. I quickly ride over the Orange bridge in Nelson. I then continue to Balfour not to forgetting to take a photo of Baylock estates to prove that everyone in Nelson doesn't live in a Tee pee or Spherical house. I make it to Balfour in an hour and forty five minutes unfortunately that is not fast enough when you show up five minutes late being appropriately Kootenay time.

I then slide on to the next ferry which after an hour and a half proceeds to slide dinner further away. The ferry ride could not have been anymore perfect, the sky was bluebird and the temperature was in the 20's? I arrive on the other side of Kootenay Lake and prepare for a nice warm day of riding. I quickly pass through the town of Crawford Bay where my whole day starts to transform. I decide to stop into one of the Artisan's stores after hearing about this place for years. The place I stopped into was called North Woven Broom Co. They were producers of brooms for the Harry Potter films and a movie called Bewitched with Will Farrow.

After that point, my day had a completely different meaning I was no longer on a bicycle trip across Canada. I was Harry Potter flying on a Firebolt broom, no longer just outside of Nelson but leaving Edinburgh towards the Highlands. I was not riding a steel framed bicycle but riding a hand made, super charged, magical broom. I then continued threw along side of the lake busy avoiding De mentors and other creatures. I am sure the Lochness monster was watching from a distance. I no longer had Powerbars, but I had Fizzing wizzbees! No more Gatorade, but I did have Delicious butter beer. Continuous climbing and descending throughout the day whizzing over hills and through Grey Creek the only town in Canada that does not support the Metric system.

After my jaunt through the Highlands I was zooming through the farmlands of the countryside towards Creston, ready to attack the city of Cranbrook. After the long slow climb to Cranbrook I arrived at a gorgeous bed and breakfast fit to be called Hogwarth's. I then continued down to the schools cafeteria where only one vendor was open, a shamble called Boston pizza.

My day was long and exciting, I was able to see my father a few times and had a great time on my Firebolt. I rode 235.55km's and enjoyed almost every minute. I saw several deers and one bald eagle who was enjoying something in a ravine on the side of the road.

No comments: