Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Le Tour Section 3 Complete Winnepeg In One Piece

I woke up to the smell of pancakes and a friendly good morning from our new friend Ken, I knew I was ready for a great day on the road of life. After a quick look over the bike I was on the road ready for the big city of Winnepeg.

The day was a success, only one flat tire after 2700 km's of lugging four panniers full of my most precious belongings. I quickly adapted to riding the white line on the side of the road as if it were a tight rope over Niagara Falls. The sun started to set after a long day of battling a head wind and the busy roads of Manitoba. It was now dark and Matt and myself were
hungry, tired and ready to snap after a long eleven hours on our bikes. We were now in the city limits on the very last leg of our 219.2 km ride against the wind when a police car pulls up behind us! I was irate to say the least, I asked the officer what the problem was and he said we ran a red light. The next thing I know my friend Matt is telling me to calm down and three police cars are on location. The police offer us a nice "Welcome to Winnepeg, here have a $167.00 ticket for running a red light!" Well several things went through my head after that, one I should have tried to be the first person to outrun the police on a bicycle, two give Winnepeg a chance I heard it is an awesome city, Three Why why? And four I am hungry let's get this ride over with. After our incident was over the two bad boys of B.C. were released from the side of the road ready to be on Cops prime time on Fox Sunday at Seven P.M. Eastern time.

We then continued to Matt's distant family's house near Oxford St. Margot was on the street waiting for us with open arms. We then approached the lovely Kalinowsky family home not knowing what they thought of the B.C. Bandits at this point. We then met the family dog which looked like a polar bear cub and Margot's husband Ian who welcomed us with a nice smile and pointed us to the showers. Matt and I got cleaned up and Margot had made an awesome pasta dinner with a great salad for us not forgetting to mention delicious homemade rhubarb crisp with rich vanilla ice cream. We then spent a bit of time meeting them and there son Derrick, who was a really well behaved young man. After the long frustrating day I knew I was in good hands with the fun loving Kalinowsky family.

1 comment:

Omid Javadi said...

You have no idea how ridiculously jealous I am of you guys and this entire ride.