Thursday, June 21, 2007

Section Four Le Tour Winnepeg to Thunderbay

I took a day off of riding to explore the city of Winnepeg and to get a little work done. I explored the city and dropped by the police headquarters to figure out if there was anyway of disputing the ticket I received the night before. Unfortunately there was not, I decided not to let one ticket jade me against a city and decided to apologize to the officers for my eccentric behavior the night before. Its amazing how being hypoglycemic and riding 220km's can make a person act.

Our wonderful host Margot gave me a great tour of the city and gave me a great locals perspective on the city, culture, life and the great benefits of being a Winnepegger is all about. I must comment that Winnepeggers have a great thing going and us West coasters are behind on the times. For one the property values are way lower here making buying something nice affordable, also the city does have culture and it is not all about hanging out watching hockey and timy ho's. The city is vibrant and has nice Victorian architecture. I would recommend seeing the city of Winnepeg. Also they have a cottage culture, a lot of people there can afford cabins in the area and it is a very social event to hang out at the cottages in the summer and holidays in Winnepeg.

That evening in Winnepeg our hosts treated us and there niece Victoria to an awesome sushi dinner and brownies to die for. Victoria was celebrating her 24th Birthday and we were really lucky to be a part of it. So Victoria if you ever read this, happy birthday again.

The next day we were heading out of Winnepeg towards Kenora Ontario to stay at our friends the Kalinowsky's cottage and check out what this cottage culture is all about. We rode out of the city and received our first death threat from a motorist in a red stalker van. He was extremely angry that we were on the road and threatened to run us over. It was a great way to start the day.

The ride to Kenora was interesting I learned what it is like to ride in extreme heat and humidity in Eastern Canada. That is a challenge on its own. I also felt light headed and started feeling as if I were a mad hatter. There was all kinds of road kill along the way and I felt as if I was one of the coroners on C.S.I. trying to figure out what was on the side of the road? Is that a deer? or a moose? or a bungee cord? I also saw some living wildlife which was a much more pleasant experience, I saw a few deer and took a quick break to take some photos of a beaver.

When we arrived in Kenora, our wonderful host Margot was there in a powerboat ready to pick us up to take us to the cottage. I felt as if I was a rock star with that type of luxury, call me Bono!
After the 211.9 Km bike ride the swim in the lake was so nice not to mention the hot tub! This experience was awesome and I would like to thank Margot again! Margot you are a star! After the hot tub Derrick the son was hanging out with his fourteen year old friends playing with firecrackers and burning there school work celebrating their end of school for the year. Margot spoiled us again with a great dinner with the local fish pickerel that was really delicious. After dinner I went and tried to pretend that I was fourteen and watched Robin Williams live with Derrick and his homeys.

No comments: