Friday, June 29, 2007

Le tour Section Five Day Nine Section Completed in Ottawa

June 27, I woke up early in Pembroke beside my new neighbour with the massive mullet. I decided to be as noisy as possible after the mullet man almost ran me over with his truck. We were quickly on the rode to our Nation's capital Ottawa.

The temperature again was upwards of forty degrees Celsius with the humid ex, I was drinking a liter of water almost every half hour. It was very hot and there was no shoulder on the road. We were finding the rode pretty sketchy to be cycling on but only had a hundred kilometers left to ride when a police officer pulled over. Our new mo do was to kill the officer with kindness and it seemed to be working well. The fact that we were in spandex and she was a female officer was working in our favour. She informed us that there had been several fatalities along the upcoming stretch of road and to be careful. We took her advice and rode with a little extra caution throughout the rest of the day. As We approached Ottawa I hit the five thousand kilometer marker on my odometer. At this point I was excited to see Ottawa, the road then became a very busy freeway out side of the city. A large purple van with police officers informed me that I was not allowed on that stretch of road and to get off of it asap! I then took the next exit and a fellow cyclist pointed me in the vague direction of my friend Aimee's home.

I arrived at six and Aimee and I chatted for a bit before we went out to a great Italian restaurant downtown called, Fratelli's on Bank street. The food was so great, I had an order of plain pasta with parmigiana and olive oil. I also had my favorite pizza that they made for me by request, it had mozzarella, anchovies, tomatoes and arrugula with a generous serving of olive oil poured on top. Aimee and her boyfriend John then drove me around the city and showed me Ottawa by night which was simply breathtaking.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey great blog...inspiring stuff...glad you are making good progress! Good luck in Quebec :)

Am enjoying the Calgary Stampede right now...about to hit the Rockies!

Hope to share stories back in Van!

cheers for your parents details too
best wishes

Jamie

Dean Horsfall said...

Hope it isn't to late their number is 250 352 0362 Willa and Harold in Nelson. I am in Halifax