Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Le Tour Section 3 Day 3 Medicine Hat to Swift Current

I woke up at six and started rolling quickly to get on the road after a nice bowl of Muesli I made the evening before. Bicycle touring basically has a simple philosophy, set yourself up for success whenever you can or fail miserably. That's basically how life is in general.

After riding out of Medicine Hat I took a quick picture of the world's largest teepee. I must say was large! I headed out of town and filled my waterbottles again with prarie water that basically tastes as if it was just out of a mud puddle. Throughout the morning I was climbing rolling hills and battling light winds. As the day grew longer the winds became stronger and riding was much more effort. Cycling against a head wind is a really good life lesson, put your head down and work and you will be slowly rewarded. After a long day of winds and hot weather the clouds were getting dark and grey. I then prepared for torrential downpour, throwing on a rain jacket, rain pants and gloves. I then continued to ride out the storm. High winds and heavy rainfall not to mention hail slowed me down a little bit as locals in pick up trucks offered me rides I refused and continued threw the rain. I then pushed on through to Swift Current and looked high and low for a restaurant. It was now 9:30 and nothing was open the only thing I could find was Tim Horton's. I guess occasionally Donuts and Chili can double as petro for an athlete, the basic formula is calories in, calories out. After unwinding and chatting with locals I then continued to a local campsite at 11:00pm and set-up camp. I think I may have set a world record for the fastest time ever to set up camp, shower, make muesli and fall asleep. It was a great day full of adventure and excitement, I rode 238.9kms and survived one of those storms that you see on the discovery channel.

No comments: