Friday, June 29, 2007

Le Tour Section Five Day Eight North Bay to Pembroke Ontario

June 26, After a great rest day in North Bay we headed out towards Pembroke Ontario. Leaving the city around seven thirty a.m., it already felt as if I was in a humidor and I was a cigar wearing freshly cleaned spandex on a flight to Pembroke from Cuba.

Throughout the day I was stared at more often than go threw the Rockies because of the extreme heat. The weather was not only hot but it was humid, apparently reaching forty degrees Celsius with the humid ex. We arrived to Pembroke late around eight thirty p.m. and had trouble finding the campsite. Once we found the campsite I was attacked viciously by a swarm of mosquitoes, I then continued to tip over my precious pasta noodles off the camp stove. I really had to pull myself together or I was doomed. I quickly sprinted one hundred meters to the shower and tried to clean myself in a military type of shower that as soon as the water was off the mosquitoes were on me again. I thought I was cool but I was still on the edge, I decided to eat and then quickly get to sleep as soon as possible. I sprinted back to the pasta and ran back to the bathroom and tried to make the best of my five star meal. I quickly pounded some noodles and ran back to my tent. I then stripped down while the piranhas nibbled away at the last pieces of skin exposed. I now was in my bivy tent with my head lamp on sweating trying to kill any last mosquitoes around. I was now bleeding, tired and ready for sleep, I quickly passed out.
Around an hour after going to sleep I hear a diesel truck a few feet from my head, I quickly awake to the sound of a fifth wheel about to back over my tent and poor deano soon too be dean the pancake. The truck then stopped and a short man with a massive mullet wearing construction boots clunks by my tent. I hear myself yelling relax dean, relax dean, he is not worth freaking out at even though he almost ran you over with his fifth wheel. He then continued to set up his fifth wheel and turn on his generator. I decided it was best for him that I just moved my tent. It was a very long day and I was happy to end it in my tent as far away from this inconsiderate fellow as possible. We rode Two hundred and twenty three kilometers in temperatures as high as forty degrees Celsius and no mullets were hurt.

No comments: