Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Le Tour Section 3 Day 4

I woke up a little later today after the hard day yesterday and prepared for another day of grinding away on threw the praries. Iquickly packed up camp and set out to the grocery store and grabbed some fuel for the h ard day ahead. I am really aware that I don't blend in small town Saskatchewan. After coming out of the grocery store an man apeerring to be in his eighties saw me stretching and asked if my muscles were sore. I had a really nice conversation with him, he asked if I was caught in the storm yesterday and I told him it wasn't so bad. I asked him if they looked forward to rain there and he stared me in the eye and said yes. I could tell that he had seen some hard seasons on a ranch and that he was extremely passionate about the way the weather affected people in the prairies. I was about to see the affects of it myself. This man taught me in a few minutes about how hard life could be living in this rugged area.

I then left town and prepared to slowely battle a headwind, my battle was frustrating. I rode extremely hard and was riding about 10-14 km's an hour. After five and a half hours of watching people in cars shake their heads at me I made a hard call of calling off the day of riding and checked into a cheap hotel. The woman who owned it just bought it and it was really run down but she gave me a great price. Her husband had just been diagnosed with lung cancer and it was going to be a rough road ahead for her as well. I wish her husband the best.

Calling off riding into the eye of the storm was a good decision, I washed my clothes and had a decent meal and prepared for clear skys the next day. I feel that walking away with a poor total of 63.3km for the day was hard but setting up for the next day was a very smart thing to do.

No comments: